Finally I started a website (for semi cooked/ready to cook food items in Delhi/NCR) which I had been thinking for long. So what took me so long for launching a static 4 page website (that too using wordpress) selling just 2 items? The answer is my thinking of having a minimum running (please don't include legal expense, electricity/water/phone bill) cost but scalable business wherein more products can be added as the sale increases or as and when a minimum set of customers demand for it. Also, I had to learn cooking myself to avoid hiring Chefs (don't worry I have done enough RnD and can cook reasonably good food). Let's understand it with an example:
One of my product is 'Mutton Shami Kebab'. I decided to sell it in 'batter' form instead of fully cooked one. By doing so I have achieved the following:
- I am not competing with thousand other brands in market who are selling fully cooked/ready to eat food.
- I have avoided almost all the wastage s. The nature of both the products is such that they don't get spoiled for many days. Also as they will be sold based on weight, every bite will be sold unlike other gravy items where while making one portion some gravy will always left with you which will either go waste or you will be adjusting it in next order which is uncertain.
- By learning cooking, I have avoided hiring of any Chef at least for initial phase. I would love to hire chef as and when demand increases.
- By using wordpress (created a static website on wordpress then redirecting my url (bought from godaddy for Rs. 499/-) to this site so that customer just has to type in my url), I have also saved some money on website creation as well. Some may say that one should have a good website doesn't matter if it comes for a cost but again as I said my target was minimum running cost/investment startup :). Also, I have already thought of making my website more attractive and changes could be seen soon (done by either myself of one of my friend so again no charges :).
- Customer's benefit - We all know that we tend to order more than what is required. So if a customers buys from us, he/she can decide at the eleventh hour exactly how much to be cooked and the rest can be used later. So it's a win win situation for both the parties.
- Thankfully I have got my own shop so I don't have to hire a place as well which is a big big saving (if you want to dig deeper, you may say that market rent of this shop should be considered as expense, well you may but at least I don't have to pay anything from my pocket).
There is some investment in buying ingredients etc. which is quite nominal and can be managed with small quantity initially (just in case everything is available nearby and can be purchased as and when order comes so no need to have a big inventory).
I am not writing anything about cost of company forming, registration etc. as the legal expense can't and should not be avoided otherwise they will cost even more.
Having said all this, there is one cost which can't be avoided, i.e. publicity. I will start with FB/banner ads soon and depending upon the results will look for other ways as well. Some blog posting/press release may also come soon.
Although there is lot to say but I think I have said enough to show my intentions and to start a discussion here. I would love to hear from you what you think of this idea. Also if some investor is reading this, whether he/she will take these things positively or negatively (thinking businesses can't be run like this)?
P.S. - I am not at all taking this business lightly and not thinking at all that just by doing this I will achieve success and it's like a walking in the park. The purpose is to see your reaction and to know if my thinking is going right way or not.
(will mention the name of the site in comment only if allowed by the moderator)
Thank you very much.