Tablet PC market in India is set to cross $2 bn by 2013, according to a new report. Increasing usage and preference for tablets in education sector, private enterprises and growing demand from the smartphone and laptop users would drive the market for tablet PC over the coming years, said the report by TechSci Research.
The market for tablet PCs across the service industry and also among small and medium businesses is set to rise radically, said the report titled India Tablet PC Market Forecast & Opportunities, 2018.
Samsung was the first to introduce tablet PCs in India targeting the younger generation of mobile phone/ smartphone users but now tablet PCs have gained huge market in industries such as IT, education, retail and food services.
The report said: Several companies such as Datawind, Micromax, and HCL etc. are specifically focusing on designing affordable tablets for the education sector. The major players operating in the market include Micromax, Karbonn and Lava. It has been forecasted that Tablet PC market revenues in India are expected to grow at the CAGR of 33% by 2018, said the report (paid).
According to industry body Mait, with 425% yearly growth, tablets are cannibalizing PC sales in India. Tablet sales for 2012-13 stood at 1.9 million units as against 0.36 million units in 2011-12. Personal computer sales between April 2012 and March 2013 grew only 5% from the previous year to 11.31 million units.
Outlook of Tablet market in India 2013 (According to Cyber Media Research)
- Windows 8 based Media Tablets will be the main highlight in the market.
- Enterprises will see increasing adoption of tablet PCs as part of the larger trend towards mobility.
- Few OEMs are expected to announce LTE / LTE-ready tablets for the India market in 2013. Though we haven’t seen many Tablets announced yet supporting LTE worldwide.
- There could be some cleansing in the market for sub-INR 5,000 Tablets. 2013 is likely to see some of the players in this segment closing shop due to lack of market acceptability.
- 2013 will see markets crystallise around three price points for the India Tablet PC market. These will be INR 5,000-10,000; INR 15,000-20,000 and over INR 35,000.