What’s on the Tech Radar in 2014? Multi-vendor Clouds, Context Aware Computing

The Internet of Things, Ultra-HD TV, Real-time analytics and self organising networks will create some buzz in 2014 if a Cisco report is to be believed.  The IT firm released…

The Internet of Things, Ultra-HD TV, Real-time analytics and self organising networks will create some buzz in 2014 if a Cisco report is to be believed.  The IT firm released their Tech radar for 2014, and these are some of the transformational trends in technology that they see in the year ahead.

Internet of Everything (IoE) & M2M Communications

According to Cisco, the Internet of things and big data are two areas which will transform predictive diagnostics next in auto and retail safety next year. Machine to Machine (M2M) connections used in telemetry, telematics and sales and payments will increase by 45% in 2022. Meanwhile, person to machine and person to person connections will only account for the remaining 55%.

Multi-vendor Clouds

Dynamic and multi-vendor cloud environments are set to replace public, private and hybrid cloud environments next year. The new technology is expected to enable cloud providers across multiple environments to adopt common Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to provide reliable and economical services.

Video in ultra-high definition

Ultra-high definition video technology of (2160p and 4k – 8k- 4320p) will be seen next year in smart phones, augmented reality glasses, tablets and devices with a camera. The resolution that is enhanced over 16 times will in turn set off the adoption of new technologies like P2P streaming, federated content distribution networks, HEVC (H.265) or HTTP adaptive streaming.

Context Aware Computing and Collaboration

Within 12 to 24 months, Cisco predicts the rise of collaboration applications that automatically present information about people and organisations contacting others. The rise is attributed to the mix of big data and collaboration applications that will power “context-aware” computing and collaboration experiences. It is also expected to aid in preserving intellectual property at companies by gathering historical information like that of documents, past interactions, meeting minutes etc.

Real-time analytics

In an era where businesses want to tackle data deluge on the fly, real-time analytics will be seen as big game changers. Real-time analytics have a broad area of application, spanning from financial markets to advertising, automation and security. Assisting in analysing and providing insights into the dat will mean high performance requirements on systems’ hardware and software.

Interactive collaboration through the web

Within 12 months, Cisco sees retailers, financial services organisations and providers of high value services embedding Web Real Time Collaboration (WebRTC) into their web interfaces to engage with customers.

New Internet architectures

as the number of connected devices expands from 10 Bn today to 50 Bn or more by 2020, so will the current internet infrastructure to support this exponential growth. 2014 is set to see the rise of a new Internet architecture characterised by ‘Fog Computing’ or a type of distributed computing that will deliver services, applications and large amounts of data to the edge of a network, thereby providing core data, computing, storage and application services on a distributed level. 2014 will also see a new type of networking architecture characterized by open APIs, the passing of the SDN hype cycle and the emerging of real-world applications as well as a new set of IT skill sets to complement the convergence of computing, networking, storage and applications.

Security and Internet of Everything

In the coming 1-3 years, there will be a new form of multi-layered security emerge, replacing today’s model of “protecting the perimeter” with a combination of security technologies that includes localized clients embedded within devices or localized connections and centralized cloud-based intelligence which constantly scan to protect.

 Self-Organizing Networks (SON)

SON refers to a set of capabilities that increases the level of automation in network planning, operations and maintenance of LTE (Long Term Evolution) and next generation mobile networks. Today‘s mobile networks are largely human operated. SON is expected to decrease the capex and opex associated with them. These automated functions aim towards a self-configuring, self-optimizing and self-healing network, increasing network performance and quality by adapting to dynamic changes in network conditions.

Recommended Read: Mobile Advertising Trends 2014: Native Advertising; Wearable Tech & More

Sign Up for NextBigWhat Newsletter