We earlier covered the made for India browser, Epic Browser, which is specifically targeted towards Indians keeping their browsing habits in context.
To recap, What’s so unique about the Indian Market that a bunch of geeks want to build a browser for the home segment?
Well, if you look at the standard browsers, they aren’t meant for a *normal* user. For instance, you need to be a real geek to install a plugin.
Epic Browser, a derivative of Firefox offers a few great localized features that makes it an interesting product. We earlier shared some of the useful features of the browser – for example Built-in Antivirus (that scans documents automatically), ToDo (good implementation), snippets, social network integration etc.
Feature upgrades are:
- Faster Load Times – nearly 20% faster start-up times and faster rendering!
- One-Click Super-AntiVirus Scan for File Downloads – The most thorough checks of downloaded files possible. When you download a file in Epic, you’ll have an option to scan the file first via VirusTotal. They’ll check if the link is considered malicious and scan the linked-to file with 40 different anti-virus engines including Symantec/Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, K7, AVG, Avira, Panda and 33 other anti-virus products.
- AntiVirus Scanner Removed
- Hide-able Sidebar – You can now hide the sidebar.
- New Shopping Sidebar – See hot deals instantly in our shopping sidebar!
- More Browsing Space with Thinner Sidebar and Controls – The sidebar is set to the thin icons only view by default and mini-controls for the address bar. Result: much more browsing space!
- New More Visible Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons
- Bookmark Apps – Turn any website into an App via the star button or via a right click on the website in your bookmarks.
- Feature Films in the India Sidebar – Hundreds of Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Gujarati, Marathi and Punjabi Films in the India Sidebar.
- Drag files from the sidebar My Computer to your GMail.
- Easy Access to Auto-Saved Text Fields – So if your computer crashes while you were typing a long e-mail, Epic saves your text and nothing is lost!
When I first used the product, I found it to be too bulky and slow – with the new version (which I started using since last evening), it does offer better performance (but not as great as Chrome).
Do give Epic Browser’s new version a spin and share your feedback with the team.