After violent protests seeking a rollback erupted in several states on  Thursday, the Centre announced a two-year relaxation in the upper age limit for the Agnipath scheme this year

After a day that saw violent protests , the Defence Ministry said that it would allow those who were 21 years  old in 2020, when recruitments were stalled, to be eligible only for  this year.

Under the original scheme announced on Tuesday, only aspirants between  17-and-a-half years and 21 years of age are eligible for recruitment.

But on Thursday, the Defence Ministry said that “the upper age limit for  the recruitment process for Agnipath scheme for 2022 is increased to 23  years”.

The Ministry said that since “it has not been possible to undertake the  recruitment during the last two years, the Government has decided that a  one-time waiver shall be granted for the proposed recruitment cycle for  2022”.

Confirming the damage caused, Bihar ADGP (law and order) Sanjay Singh  said the police have so far “arrested 125 people for the violent  protests”.

The Railways said 34 trains were fully cancelled and eight partially,  with 72 trains either detained at stations or running late, because of  the agitation.