By H.JanGra April 30, 2022
Former tennis star Boris Becker was on Friday jailed for two and a half years after being found guilty by a British court of charges relating to his 2017 bankruptcy
The six-time Grand Slam champion, 54, was convicted over his transfer of huge amounts of money from his business account
failing to declare a property in Germany and concealing 825,000 euros ($866,500) of debt and shares in a tech firm.
But he was acquitted at Southwark Crown Court earlier this month of a further 20 charges, including nine counts of failing to hand over trophies and medals he won during his glittering tennis career.
He told jurors he did not know the whereabouts of the memorabilia, including two of his three Wimbledon men's singles trophies.
Judge Deborah Taylor released Becker -- who won Wimbledon as an unseeded teenager -- on conditional bail ahead of Friday's sentencing hearing at the south London court.
The former world number one told the jury how his $50 million ($40 million) career earnings were swallowed up by an expensive divorce from his first wife Barbara Becker, child maintenance payments and "expensive lifestyle commitments".
Becker said he was "shocked" and "embarrassed" when he was declared bankrupt in June 2017 over an unpaid loan of more than 3 million euros on his estate in Mallorca, Spain.
The German, said he had cooperated with trustees trying to secure his assets, even offering his wedding ring, and relied on the advisers who managed his life away from tennis.
But the former player, who was supported in court by his partner Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro and eldest son Noah, was found guilty of four charges under the Insolvency Act.