North Kerala on high alert after the highly-contagious Shigella bacterial infection spreads panic.

The Shigella infection has claimed the life of an 11 year-old boy and has infected 54 others in Kozhikode in Kerala.

Shigella infection (Shigellosis) is an intestinal infection caused by a family of bacteria known as Shigella.

Shigellosis infection triggers stomach pain, bloody diarrhoea and fever in those who are infected.

In some cases, people infected with the shigella bacteria do not have symptoms, but are asymptomatic and contagious.

Health experts said the infection is not very deadly but if it is ignored, it will aggravate health condition.

The infections have been mostly reported from Kottaparambu ward within the corporation limits.

Health experts said contaminated water sources triggered the infection and a clearer picture will emerge by next week after lab tests.

Health authorities have super chlorinated all water bodies in the area. Inspection of all affected houses and eateries, including hotels, has started.

The Kerala health department said that the infection has been brought under control and no fresh case has been reported since December 20th.