Web18 has reported an increase of 13% sequentially (compared to Q1 09-10), and posted net loss of Rs. 13.28 crores (as opposed to Rs. 14.37 crores last quarter).
The flagship portal, In.com launched MySchool.In.com (we were the first one to notice that) and has attracted over 50,000 registrations within 2 months of launch across 68 cities in India.
For quarter ending Sep’09, Web18’s operating losses are down from Rs 175-190 mn in Q2/Q3 Last Year To Rs 51 mn In Q2.
- Moneycontrol has achieved a registered user base of over 2 million members – highest in the country in ‘Finance’ category
- Average time spent on the site is over 23 minutes per visit as against an Indian average of 4-5 minutes per visit (*)
- 85% of Moneycontrol users, using the site’s Portfolio tracking service, have investments worth more than INR 300000 (on a base of approx 1.2 million Portfolio users)
- Moneycontrol had over 2.25 million monthly visits (*) during this quarter which is way ahead of Rediff Finance & Yahoo Finance.
* – from Web18’s internal Google Analytics data (though one should use Comscore for a common/defined benchmark).
In.com Traffic Vs. Compeition
While Web18 claims In.com to be India’s #2 content portal, it actually lags behind Yahoo, Rediff and is now catching up with Indiatimes. Web18 recently raised $10million from Nokia Growth Partners and has put it’s IPO plans on hold.
Overall, the consolidated revenues of TV18, the umbrella firm that owns several other companies Infomedia18, News Channels and NewsWire18 has increased by nearly 31% YOY and 25% QOQ [download the report (pdf)].
The big question for Web18 still remains as it was earlier – is the consolidation of properties working for the site or is it that the portal, i.e. In.com is relying on few properties (e.g.moneycontrol/ibnlive) for it’s existence?
Is there a clear cut-out positioning for In.com? The earlier, ’email with a difference positioning’ didn’t work at all, so traffic is in a way proportional to money that In.com spends on advertising.
What’s your opinion?