What do Product Managers actually do? And by that, I mean what actual work does a PM do?
In an incredibly thorough introduction to the world of Product Management, Josh Elman of Greylock Partners, who has also worked at Twitter, Facebook Connect, LinkedIn and more, provides a detailed walkthrough of the same.
Broad responsibilities of a Product Manager:
- Define the market & customer.
- Launch timing, sales and marketing collateral.
- Define the problem and value proposition.
- Competitors, products & capabilities
- Define the requirements and roadmap.
- Internal/External stakeholder communication.
- Product evangelist and champion.
On the team:
- You are not a ‘CEO of the product’. You’re a team leader.
- Set the cadence.
- Brainstorm effectively.
- Manage product operations.
Shipping > Perfection:
- Helping your team only matters if you ship the right product to the users.
- Providing clear criteria for launch readiness.
- Make the difficult tradeoffs.
- Prioritize ruthlessly.
- The Product IS NEVER FINISHED.
- There is no right product…but there is a right way to be a Product Manager.
- Effective Product Managers simply help their team move forward.
Want to kickstart your product management career? Go for our Product Management Course and become a 10X better product leader!