Direct motives ( they drive performance)
- Play: It occurs when you’re engaging in an activity simply because you enjoy doing it.
- Purpose: you do an activity because you value the outcome of the activity
- Potential: You do the work because it will eventually lead to something you believe is important.
- Indirect motives (frequently harm performance)
- Emotional pressure: emotions such as disappointment, guilt or shame compel you to perform an activity
- Economic pressure: you do an activity solely to win a reward or avoid punishment.
- Inertia: You do what you do because you did it yesterday.