Our minds have two different types of intellectual motivation, which create internal disagreement in various aspects of our lives. This constant tug-of-war in our heads revolves around our thoughts, emotions, values, morals, judgments, and overall consciousness.
- The Primitive Mind is a set of coded instructions for how to be a successful animal in the natural habitat, with natural selection as the coder.
- Its goal is survival and reproduction, along with helping its offspring reproduce.
- It believes that holding beliefs generating the best kinds of survival behavior is important, regardless of their truthfulness.
- The Primitive Mind installs beliefs early in life, based on the prevailing beliefs of family, peers, or the community.
- It views beliefs as a fundamental part of identity, essential for being in good standing with the community.
- It wants you to treat your beliefs as sacred objects and hold them with conviction, preferring viewpoint/identity confirmation, out-group bashing, and gossip.