We’re only a few weeks short of the end of the year. And as the custom has been over the years, YouTube has again released a mashup of all the top events, memes, videos, and songs from the year.
2016 saw Kabali ruling the charts to become top trending movie trailer, and Kapil Sharma’s show featuring Salman Khan, along with YouTube stars of The Viral Fever playing truth or dare with dad and All India Bakchod’s honest portrayal of bars and restaurants as the top trending video’s of the year.
According to YouTube, this year’s top ten videos, collectively have 70 million views and the channels who make them have more than 45 million subscribers who tune in regularly to watch the funny, insightful, entertaining content they create/ upload.
Here’s the complete list.
Top trending videos:
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Sultan
- The Voice India Kids: Ayat Shaikh
- Crime Patrol Dial 100: Andhkaar
- Complete truth of Rs 2000 notes with a chip embedded in it
- TVF: Truth or Dare with Dad
- TVF’s Permanent Roommates: The Parents
- AIB : Honest Bars & Restaurants
- Life Sahi Hai: The Maid
- How Shah Rukh Khan Became The FAN – Gaurav
- AIB Diwas: Zakir Khan
In Music, 2016 seemed to be all about Kala Chashma with 45 million views, and kar gayi chull and baby ko base pasand hai taking the next slots.
Top music videos:
- Kala Chashma: Baar Baar Dekho
- Kar Gayi Chull: Kapoor & Sons
- Baby Ko Bass Pasand Hai: Sultan
- Bulleya: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- Cham Cham: Baaghi
- GF BF: T-Series
- Hua hain Aaj Pehli Baar: Sanam Re
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- The Breakup Song: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
In movies, Rajinikanth as Kabali went viral with Aamir Khan’s Dangal and Salman Khan’s Sultan following closely behind. The biopic of MS Dhoni featuring Sushant Singh Rajput was also a huge hit.
Top movie trailers:
- Kabali Tamil Movie
- M.S.Dhoni – The Untold Story
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
From an ads perspective, it is quite evident from the YouTube Leaderboard 2016 that several brands chose to create long format ads for a primarily digital-first audience. In fact, seven out of top 10 most watched ads in 2016 were over 90 seconds long. And audiences too were willing to invest their time and attention on ads that are narrative-driven and take a storytelling approach. #Dettolsheronkepanje was the most viewed ads for 2016 with close to 13 million views, and #Ranveerchingreturns and Amazon’s#ApniDukaan taking the next spots.
Most viewed ads: