The Tim Ferriss Show – Dr. John Krystal
Ketamine blocks excitatory cells and triggers a pulse of glutamate which activates signalling, allowing for regrowth and stabilization of synaptic connections in the brain, thereby improving mental health.
Drugs and mental health
- Building a supportive environment can help people with depression develop resilience and optimism.
- Mental health must be given the same attention and care as physical health to ensure successful treatment of depression.
- Drugs can be used to manipulate serotonin levels to study complex brain functions, such as depression, that are not caused by a lack of serotonin.
- A small shift in thinking can be revolutionary, and open-mindedness is essential for the progress of scientific knowledge.
- Ketamine has been proven to restore synaptic connections in the brain and provide emotional resilience, leading to its FDA approval in 2019.
- Ketamine blocks excitatory cells and triggers a pulse of glutamate, which activates signaling, allowing for the regrowth and stabilization of synaptic connections in the brain, thereby improving mental health.
The effectiveness of Ketamine
- Ketamine, when administered at precise doses, can have positive effects on the brain and can be used to treat depression. Dissociation is also an important factor in the therapeutic effects of these drugs, helping people gain greater understanding.
- Ketamine’s ability to treat depression and PTSD does not necessarily require dissociative experiences, as research has shown that those with a history of alcohol use disorder have a built-in tolerance to ketamine’s effects.
- Ketamine can be effective in treating trauma when used in conjunction with psychotherapy, but the dose needs to be carefully monitored by medical professionals.
Ketamine and psychedelics
- Ketamine and psychedelics can lead to changes in cognitive outcomes due to an increase in excitability, glutamate output, and BDNF, which can cause the regrowth of lost synapses and potential mood improvements.
- Exercise, ketone body consumption, alcohol alternatives, and ketamine are all ways to improve mental health, each with their own effects.
- Drugs can be powerful tools when used responsibly and in the right way. Knowledge of risks and responsible use is important for research and therapy.
Managing treatment-resistant depression
- Treatment-resistant depression is a difficult condition to manage.
- Different people respond differently to different types of depression and labels can be too reductionist.
- It is important to consider individual factors such as hyper absorbers and hyper producers of cholesterol.
- Likewise, for those with depression, subjective experience could vary from anhedonia to self hatred on an endless loop.